SportsThe Alierta family sells Real Zaragoza

The Alierta family sells Real Zaragoza


Real Zaragoza fans.JOHN MEDINA (Reuters)

Real Zaragoza has decided to overturn its roadmap, the board of directors unable to revive a club that, due to its heraldry and fans, claims to be in the First Division. “Ares Management has presented a plan for the future to improve the workforce, and that is crucial for us. We want the best for Real Zaragoza and we have valued that for the good of the club this offer is the most interesting in every way”, he resolved for the web princes of paris the former president of Telefónica and maximum shareholder of the Aragonese club, César Alierta.

Thus, Ares Management, the American group led by the Mas Santos brothers -Jorge and José, of Cuban roots, sons of the famous anti-Castro politician and businessman Mas Canosa-, and which also includes Joseph Oughourlian, president of Prisa, publishing group of EL PAÍS, will take over the Alierta family’s share package (51% of the total) and later also with that of other shareholders until reaching 91% of the entity’s shares. Also participating in the purchase operation are Jim Carpenter, president of the RMG Team capital company, and Jim Miller and Mark Affolter, executives of Ares Management Corporation. The remaining 9% is distributed among some five thousand minority shareholders. The agreement, yes, is subject to two conditions precedent: the permanence of Real Zaragoza in LaLiga SmartBank this season and the authorization of the operation by the Higher Sports Council.

Ares Management already has ties to the world of sports, as it joined the North American MLS project as a preferred equity investor and Jorge Mas is the owner of Inter Miami with 90% of the shares (the remaining 10% is in the hands of Inter Miami). former player David Beckham), a club that has, among others, Higuaín, Matuidi, Jairo Quinteros and Rodolfo Pizarro. Jorge Mas also owns shares of the Brazilian Botafogo.

It is the first public limited company that will lead Zaragoza, which has a net debt of 68 million and a salary limit of 5.5 million imposed by LaLiga. The economic situation of the club has led to an impoverishment of the team to the point that last year it narrowly escaped relegation. Lost in the Second Division for almost a decade in a row, something never seen in its 90-year history, there have been demonstrations in the city against the current management of the board and this has also been expressed by the fans in the stadium during the matches : there are 19,000 season ticket holders and three quarters of the pitch is filled at each match.

The time has come for a change at Zaragoza, a club that has won six Copa del Reys, one Super Cup, one Fairs Cup and one Recopa. An economic and sports injection that will serve to reshape the institutional and executive aspects of the club, where Raúl Sanllehí, former director of Barcelona and Arsenal football, will have full powers.

You can follow EL PAÍS Sports in Facebook Y Twitteror sign up here to receive our weekly newsletter.