US Department of Defense (Pentagon) Spokesperson John Kirby made evaluations about the latest situation in Afghanistan and the ongoing evacuation process in the press briefing he held at the Ministry.
Kirby said that they did not carry out airstrikes anywhere in Afghanistan in the last 24 hours, and that they did not take any action to destroy American weapons or take any action to prevent them from falling into the hands of the Taliban.
Reminding that some US officials met with the leaders of the Taliban, which took control in Afghanistan, Kirby stated that the US Central Forces (CENTCOM) Commander, General Frank McKenzie, met with the Taliban leaders in Doha on Sunday. Kirby stressed that the Taliban were told during the talks that they “should not interfere with the evacuation operation”.
Acknowledging that the evacuation operation plan did not work perfectly, Sözcü stated that they are trying to ensure that the plans they have made against all situations are implemented in the best way militarily.
Saying that they will carry out their plans in the best way with around 6 thousand soldiers on the field, Kirby stated that it is not possible for them to foresee all the possibilities and argued that they are not responsible for the images that emerged at Kabul Airport.
Air operations resumed at Kabul Airport
Speaking at the briefing, US Major General Hank Taylor announced that the necessary security measures were taken after the chaos experienced at Kabul Airport yesterday and that the airport was reopened to air operations.
Stating that the personnel of the US Embassy in Kabul were transferred to Hamid Karzai Airport, Taylor stated that these people at the airport are now completely safe. Taylor also added that about 700 of the Afghans who have supported the US have left the country so far.
– The process of Taliban domination of the country
Within the framework of the peace agreement reached between the USA and the Taliban in February 2020, the process of withdrawal of international forces from Afghanistan began this year.
While the agreement stipulated not to attack foreign forces, it did not make provision for the actions of the Taliban against Afghan security forces.
Continuing the negotiations with the Afghan government in Doha, the Taliban have simultaneously dominated many districts and provincial centers in Afghanistan with violent attacks since June.
Besieging the capital Kabul, the Taliban took control of the city without conflict after President Ashraf Ghani left the country on 15 August.
. (HAS) . ..