An article on the news website Politico on August 30, citing some US documents, shows that US military forces on August 26 decided to keep the Abbey gates open longer so that Britain could continue to evacuate staff, despite receiving warnings. strong in terms of vulnerability to attack. As many people gathered at the gate, a suicide bomber from an IS branch detonated his bomb, killing more than 170 people, including 13 US Marines, and injuring more than 200. .
However, Mr Raab denied Politico’s claims and said that British authorities had made efforts to reduce the risk, including warning people not to go to the airport.
British troops on an evacuation mission from Afghanistan.
The foreign minister told BBC News: “Before the explosion, we did everything we could to reduce the risk after receiving an alert of a threat, including warning people not to come to the stadium. We also sent a civilian team from the Baron Hotel to the airport because they were obviously a very short distance from the site of the terrorist attack. those do not require the opening of the Abbey gates.”
Those injured in the ISIS-K suicide bombing.
Mr. Raab defended his response after the Taliban took control of Afghanistan, dismissing reports that he had made no effort to prepare for the worst in Kabul.
Britain’s Sunday Times reported that the foreign minister was on holiday when the Taliban overran Afghanistan and had not communicated with the foreign ministers of Afghanistan or Pakistan in the six months leading up to the crisis.
He said Britain had secured the safety of 17,000 people, including about 5,000 British nationals, who had been evacuated since April, and that only “a few hundred” remained in Afghanistan.