AA / Berlin
German authorities have opened an investigation into accusations against a group of army reservists that they plotted to kill migrants, “Der Spiegel” magazine reported on Friday.
The prosecutor’s office of the city of Lüneburg suspects a military group, made up of former paratroopers and army reservists from the Land of Lower Saxony (north-west), of having wanted to kill migrants.
The said office is investigating 9 suspects, aged 37 to 53, accused of belonging to an armed group.
“Der Spiegel” reported, quoting a spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office on condition of anonymity, that “there was initial suspicion that xenophobic motivation may have guided the group’s actions.”
Last month, investigators raided eight properties in several Länder – Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia and Berlin – and seized weapons, ammunition and equipment that suggest the reservist group is obsessed with the far-right ideology.
A spokeswoman for Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said the department was following an unyielding direction on right-wing extremism.
“Extremists have no place in the Bundeswehr (German army) or in the ministry,” he said.
The German police and military have faced a series of incidents of right-wing extremism in recent years.
In January 2020, German military intelligence reported the presence of around 600 right-wing extremists in the military.
In 2017, searches were carried out in all German military bases after the discovery of objects associated with the Nazi era in two of them, while several people accused of links with the extreme right, are said to be sympathizers of the anti-migrant party “Alternative for Germany” (AfD).
* Translated from Arabic by Majdi Ismail
. . (HAS), ..