WorldBlinken: "The green economy is the guarantor of the future"

Blinken: “The green economy is the guarantor of the future”


AA / Ankara

“The green economy is the guarantor of the future,” said US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, stressing the importance of switching to clean energy supplied by fossil fuels.

“Climate change is not only threatening our economy, our infrastructure or our national security, it is a global threat,” Blinken explained at the opening ceremony of the American Center in Glasgow, Scotland.

According to the American official, the world should strengthen ambition as well as action during this decisive decade to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius and also to prevent a “climate catastrophe”.

Referring to the return of the United States to the Paris climate agreement with the coming to power of Joe Biden, Blinken recalled that a reduction in emissions from 50% to 52% by 2030, which is the new Washington’s commitment, puts the United States on track to achieve net zero emissions by 2050.

He also pointed out that climate change requires the development and implementation of creative initiatives on the ground by state and local governments, as well as business investments that will allow the world to achieve net zero emissions.

“Companies that make the right investments now will reap the rewards for years to come,” added Blinken.

John Kerry, the US President’s special climate envoy, recalled that there is a group of nations representing 65% of global GDP, committed to reaching the 1.5 degree Celsius target.

“Obviously, if 65% commit to achieving this goal, our job will be to try to convince the remaining 35%,” he said.

While referring to scientists and reports, he stressed that if the planet does not sufficiently reduce carbon emissions between 2020 and 2030, it will not be possible to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees.

He recalled that during the summit of G20 leaders ended Sunday with an agreement on the end of the financing of coal by the end of the year with the aim of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

The United Nations Conference on Climate Change (COP26) will continue until November 12 with numerous panels, meetings and side events with a view to finding solutions to reduce levels of global warming.

* Translated from English by Alex Sinhan Bogmis

. . (HAS), ..

.